EGYPT ARRESTS FOUR IN CONNECTION WITH CHURCH BOMBING, DEATH TOLL RISES

CAIRO, Egypt, Egyptian police have arrested four people, in connection with the bombing that killed dozens of Christians, at Cairo's Coptic Christian cathedral last month, the Interior Ministry said.

At least 25 people, mostly women and children, were initially killed, when a bomb exploded in a chapel adjoining St Mark's Cathedral, the seat of the Coptic papacy. The Health Ministry said, on Wednesday, the death toll had climbed to 28.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said, after the attack, that, the bomber was a man wearing a suicide vest, and that security forces were seeking two more people believed to be involved.

The Interior Ministry said in a statement, it had arrested one of the two, along with three others, who were part of the same cell and who planned to carry out more attack. One man is still on the run, it said, without saying when they were arrested. Police also seized improvised explosive devices, shotguns, and ammunition with those it arrested, the ministry said.

The Daesh claimed responsibility for the bombing and threatened more attacks against Christians, but Egypt has sought to link the attack to the Muslim Brotherhood.

The ministry said in Dec that, Mahmoud Shafik, the alleged bomber, was a supporter of the group. It said that, one of the people it arrested was also a supporter of the Brotherhood, but it did not mention if the others had any affiliation.

The Brotherhood has condemned the attack and accused Sisi's administration of failing to protect the church. Sisi has dismissed the accusation.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Related Post